Breaking News
latest sports updates

Football

Football

Neymar In, Rodrygo Out: Brazil Unveils Loaded, Injury-Hit World Cup Attack

**RIO DE JANEIRO** bIn a high-stakes gamble, Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti ended the superstar's long international exile on Monday, naming the 34-year-old to the squad for next month’s tournament in the United States. The announcement, delivered inside Rio's crowded Museum of Tomorrow, caps a desperate race against time for Brazil’s all-time leading scorer. Neymar hasn’t played for the Seleção since 2023, following a devastating run of injuries at Al Hilal and a sluggish return to Santos. Ancelotti had long insisted that sentiment wouldn't dictate his roster. But with Brazil chasing a record sixth world title, the Italian tactician chose firepower and experience over youth. "We noticed that recently he has been playing consistently and has improved his physical condition," Ancelotti said. "In some positions, we prioritized experience." The decision leaves a trail of collateral damage. While heavyweights like Vinicius Junior and Endrick anchor a loaded attack, injuries and sudden cuts decimated the rest of the roster. Real Madrid’s Rodrygo and Chelsea’s Estevao missed out due to fitness issues, while Chelsea forward Joao Pedro was ruthlessly dropped from the final squad. **"Some of the players... won't be happy with this list," Ancelotti admitted. "I'm sorry."** Brazil kicks off its campaign against Morocco on June 13 in New Jersey, before rounding out Group C against Haiti and Scotland. ![](https://bootballer.com/storage/media/posts/ixe1jVHvfZ9nAFk7V2gc5A9N4vMh6J105xB7J0BK.jpg) **The Roster** **Goalkeepers:** Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Fenerbahçe), Weverton (Gremio) **Defenders:** Alex Sandro, Danilo, Leo Pereira (Flamengo), Bremer (Juventus), Douglas Santos (Zenit), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal), Ibanez (Al Ahli), Marquinhos (PSG), Wesley (Roma) **Midfielders:** Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle), Casemiro (Manchester United), Danilo Santos (Botafogo), Fabinho (Al Ittihad), Lucas Paqueta (Flamengo) **Forwards:** Neymar (Santos), Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid), Raphinha (Barcelona), Endrick (Lyon), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Matheus Cunha (Manchester United), Igor Thiago (Brentford), Luiz Henrique (Zenit), Rayan (Bournemouth)

Football

Chelsea Appoint Xabi Alonso as Head Coach on Four-Year Deal

Chelsea Football Club has appointed Xabi Alonso as the men’s first-team head coach. Alonso signed a four-year contract effective July 1. The club aspires to secure domestic league titles and compete for European championships under his leadership. Alonso joins the Premier League with a strong managerial reputation, built during his successful time at Bayer Leverkusen, where he led the club to its first Bundesliga title without defeat in 2023/24, after coaching at Real Madrid’s youth academy. His tactical expertise and leadership convinced Chelsea that he is the right choice to lead their long-term sporting project. This appointment marks Alonso’s return to England. He previously played for Liverpool. "Chelsea is one of the biggest clubs in world football," Alonso said following the announcement. "It is a matter of immense pride for me to be entrusted with the management of such a historic institution." He expressed alignment with the club’s ownership and sporting directors. He committed to building a team capable of competing at the highest level, aiming to win major trophies and establish Chelsea as consistent contenders domestically and in Europe. ![](https://bootballer.com/storage/media/posts/stz62bEoErY9UTXU9eStbL0AW0r81N8RBC1mFUfL.jpg) The task ahead is formidable, but Alonso possesses a glittering, championship-winning pedigree that commands instant respect in any dressing room. As a player, the elegant midfielder was a serial winner, amassing 17 major honours for both club and country—a haul that includes Spain's historic 2010 FIFA World Cup triumph alongside European Championship crowns. Having won the title, Alonso faces a significant challenge but brings a proven record of success. As a player, he won 17 major honours for club and country, including the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the 2012 European Championship with Spain. Having achieved titles in Spain, England, and Germany, Alonso now aims to develop Chelsea’s young squad into consistent champions.

Football

Nepal Super League Season 4 Set for September 5 Kickoff

KATHMANDU — Nepal’s premier franchise football tournament, the Nepal Super League (NSL), will launch its ambitious fourth season on September 5 (Bhadau 20) with a major overhaul aimed at elevating the domestic game to international standards. Organisers Nepal Sports and Event Management officially shared the plan for the next season. This change excited devoted fans by moving away from the usual single-location model. For the first time, the fourth season will have a full home-and-away setup. This means fans across the country can now enjoy matches in their local stadiums. Local stadiums will become strongholds, sparking genuine local rivalries. ![](https://bootballer.com/storage/media/posts/9suNtmFPzVv9TVyyIa1o5wkrtyfXXNPepCGKpc0z.jpg) To match its new geographic footprint, the league is expanding as well. The tournament, which previously capped its roster at 7 franchises, will now welcome 10-12 teams for the upcoming campaign. This expansion promises a denser, more gruelling fixture list. It also creates a vital pipeline for homegrown talent to showcase their skills on Nepal's grandest footballing stage. The announcement sets the stage for a renewed wave of regional animosities. All eyes will be on powerhouse Lalitpur City FC, which cemented its dynasty on April 23, 2025 (Baisakh 10, 2082) at the iconic Dasharath Stadium. In a tense, tactical masterclass of a final, Lalitpur edged past a resilient Pokhara Thunders with a 2-1 victory. They captured back-to-back NSL crowns. While Lalitpur aims to extend its stranglehold on the silverware, inaugural champions Kathmandu Rayzrs will be equally desperate to reclaim their lost throne. This rivalry anchors what promises to be a thrilling, multi-sided title race when the first whistle blows this September.

Cricket

CAN Approves $500K for Women’s Cricket and Reveals NPR 473M Revenue from NPL Season 2

CAN Approves $500K for Women’s Cricket and Reveals NPR 473M Revenue from NPL Season 2

The Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) Central Working Committee met on April 6, 2026. The committee approved a $500,000 USD (approximately NPR 66 million) investment in women's cricket, aligning with ICC gender-balance directives. It also decided to seek a lease extension for the Tribhuvan University Cricket Ground in Kirtipur and to pursue a formal transfer of the Lower Mulpani Cricket Ground from the National Sports Council. These actions aim to strengthen cricket infrastructure and improve financial transparency. The meeting recognised the commercial success of the Nepal Premier League (NPL), whose second edition generated revenue of NPR 473.6 million. After NPR 219.6 million in expenses, NPR 161.8 million was distributed to eight franchise teams. The board approved the tournament’s financial statements. CAN scheduled its next Annual General Meeting for May 10–11, 2026, in Biratnagar, and set a mid-June deadline for 20 district committees to complete pending elections to ensure effective governance.

Lumbini Pulls Off Super Over Heist: APF Giants Toppled in Birgunj Thriller

Lumbini Pulls Off Super Over Heist: APF Giants Toppled in Birgunj Thriller

LUMBINI, NEPAL – Near the Maya Devi Temple, birthplace of the Buddha and a symbol of peace, Lumbini Province secured a hard-fought Super Over win against the powerful APF Club. The PM Cup match started as a low-scoring contest before turning into a tense thriller, ending in a tie-breaker with Lumbini just one run short. Santosh Yadav stood out, dismantling the APF lineup at key moments. **The Super Over Showdown** Both teams scored 124, heightening tension. Lumbini batted first in the tie-breaker, scoring 14 despite losing opener Akash Tripathi for zero. Yadav added 8 runs quickly. Defending 15 runs, Yadav then bowled. He dismissed captain Rohit Paudel for one and then limited Lokesh Bam and Sundeep Jora to a combined five runs. APF closed with 6 runs for 1 wicket. ![](https://bootballer.com/storage/media/posts/ZqfBIT3gBKyBYeZA4WOu25ByEoHx3JgwDScHn3ZE.jpg) **The Collapse and the Comeback** Despite several national players, APF struggled and were all out for 124 in under 40 overs. Abhishek Gautam, batting in the lower order, top-scored with 28. For Lumbini, Ajay Chauhan took 4 wickets for 14 runs. Lumbini’s chase looked easy with Captain Dev Khanal (45) and Akash Tripathi (32) at the crease. Then, they lost their last nine wickets for only 50 runs and struggled to finish. **Shifting the Table** This win moves Lumbini to fifth with five points. APF, usually strong, drops to sixth. Lumbini showed determination and resilience, overcoming tough challenges to win.

Lamichhane’s Seven-Wicket Blitz Crushes Karnali in PM Cup

Lamichhane’s Seven-Wicket Blitz Crushes Karnali in PM Cup

JANAKPUR: On Wednesday, Sandeep Lamichhane took control of the match with a thrilling display, seizing seven wickets and powering Bagmati Province to a stunning 60-run victory over Karnali Province. Building on his initial impact, Lamichhane’s bowling electrified the PM Cup Men’s National Cricket Tournament, restricting Karnali to 120 runs in 25.1 overs as they desperately chased 181. His outstanding 7 for 40 now stands as the tournament’s fourth-best performance, sparking cheers from the crowd. **The Collapse** However, after a spirited start to their chase, Karnali couldn’t handle Lamichhane’s bowling. Nischal Rawal was the only one to put up a fight, scoring 31, while Dinesh Adhikari added 22 and Bipin Shahi made 15. The rest of the middle order fell quickly to the spin attack. As the innings progressed, Lamichhane wasted no time, striking early and maintaining relentless pressure, dismantling most of Karnali’s batting order. Though Rijan Dhakal, Pratish GC, and Subas Khatri took one wicket each, Lamichhane's sensational spell stole the spotlight. Claiming seven wickets, he joins a legendary group of PM Cup performers. ![](https://bootballer.com/storage/media/posts/UXg4zswHX2br4bcFc84U0LusPls2TAQkmwJ7rg0R.jpg) **Bagmati’s Gritty Total** Earlier in the day, Bagmati had a tough start after being sent in to bat. They lost wickets regularly, but Bibek Magar held the innings together with an important 56. Ishan Pandey added 27, and Pawan Thapa scored 22, helping the team reach 180 before being bowled out in the 39th over. Despite Karnali’s captain, Diwan Pun, bowling well, his good work was undone by his team’s batting collapse. In contrast, Bagmati’s bowlers were sharp and took control of the match.

Test Latest Updates Second

Volleyball, Esports and Off Field Updates

Most Viewed Article

Here are all the most viewed articles of the week, carefully curated to bring you the latest insights and trends in the world of sports.